RE: Which one to choose

Subject: RE: Which one to choose
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:06:29 -0500
Hi,

I saw today several times the following construct:
<xsl:variable name="foo" select="document('http://remoteserver/file.xml')"/>
<xsl:value-of select="$foo/path/to/some/nodes"/>

Is it because the XSLT engine used has some limitations? different
interpretation of the recommendations? if some engines cannot run the
example below, it would be interest to know which ones.

On XT you can do:
<xsl:variable name="foo"
select="document('http://remoteserver/file.xml')/path/to/some/nodes"/>

My own interpretation of the recommendations is that the last construct is
OK since document() is an Xpath function and can therefore be part of a
step. So, the first step (i.e. document() ) parses and build a node set,
tThen all the other subsequent steps navigate into this node set.

I used, as well, the following construct in XT:
<xsl:apply-template
select="document('http://remoteserver/file.xml')/path/to/some/nodes"/>

I also used with sucess a construct like:
<xsl:apply-template select="document(@xlink:href)/path/to/some/nodes"/>

This last construct is probably the most powerful since you take the value
of a node (for instance an attribute) and take this value as an input for
the document's URI.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin