Excelon Stylus buggy

Subject: Excelon Stylus buggy
From: Iain Huxley <iain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:57:01 -0800
Perhaps this is not news, but I have been evaluating/using Excelon's "Stylus" XSL composer for the last few days, and ended up wasting a fair due to bugs. Initially, I trusted [doh!] their transformation engine, and assumed that I had a problem with my XSL. I have ran into several examples now where it doesn't do the right thing according to the spec.

Thanks very much, Steve and Mike, for your help in confirming that it is OK to apply templates within a parameter (which was actually one of the first few things I tried to use to pass arbitrary content to a template). Now I've ditched stylus, Xalan processes my stylesheet just fine.

BTW, are there any performance/memory issues passing RTFs around like this?

To the FAQ maintainer (Dave?) - how about the following for the FAQ? It may be fairly obvious, but I would have found it useful to confirm that you can do anything in a parameter like this.

----

Q. How do I include arbitrary content in a template?

A. Pass the result tree fragment for the output you wish to include as a parameter:

<xsl:template match="test1">
  <xsl:call-template name="bolditalic">
    <xsl:with-param name="content">
      <!-- example content below will be inserted-->
      <xsl:call-template name="foo"/>
      <xsl:value-of select="test2"/>
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
      foobarfoobar