RE: disable-output-escaping 'mess'

Subject: RE: disable-output-escaping 'mess'
From: "Pawson, David" <DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 16:42:16 +0100
: David Carlisle, as exact as ever, thanks David.

>> a running header is 'marked' as <?$tls`> content<?$tle`>
>
>So, they are not XML files then, as $tls isn't an XML name.
>and XML processing instructions end with ?> not >
>

>> using <xsl:output method="xml">
>                            ^^^
>Hmm (see above:-)

No... and yes. I am trying to please a piece of software
which supposedly takes in SGML, using markup which
it defines internally as being styles.

Being accurate, no, it is not xml, as you point out.

>> If I use
>> <xsl:text disable-output-escaping><?$tls`></text>
>>
>> xt and Saxon (quite reasonably?) complain.
>
>Or more exactly xt and saxon don't get to see it at all as
>this is not well formed XML so the XML parser you are using
>with the xsl system would have rejected this.
>
>> so I end up with
>>  <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes"> <![CDATA[<?$tls`>]]>
>
>or you could have used
>
> <xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes"> &lt;?$tls`>
>
>which is the same thing.

Yes indeedy! Far neater, and I get  <  in my output!
Thanks David.

>> Minor aside, whats the logic in not permitting me to output
>> tags when I set xsl:output method="text"?
>
>because text doesn't contain XML markup.
>
>> If I'm dealing in plain text, surely left angle bracket is
>as good as any
>> other character?
>
>Yes and in the text output method a < is output as < but of course you
>have to enter the < as &lt; or in CDATA within your stylesheet as
>that is XML.

<sigh/> Yes.  That works as well. Slight preference for xml output,
since the stylesheet looks slightly neater.

Quite an enlightening treatise that one...

Yet again, many thanks David.

Regards, DaveP