Re: Formatting text output handler [WAS : Re: Formating to text]

Subject: Re: Formatting text output handler [WAS : Re: Formating to text]
From: Louis-Dominique Dubeau <ldd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Mar 2000 11:33:14 -0500
Eric van der Vlist <vdv@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> For those who have followed this thread and are interested by the
> riddle, the transformation can be done by the attached stylesheet.
>
> Now, this is so verbose and slow that I wonder if writing a formatting
> text output handler wouldn't really be the best solution.

My approach to this problem is usually to have a stylesheet output
minimal formating information.  Eg: everything is on one line and
contains the following tags:

<nl/>: newline
<inc/>: increment indent
<dec/>: decrement indent

Then a script (in Perl, Python or whatever language you like) converts
those into something suitable.

That's how I turn my resume, which lives as an XML document, into
ASCII (ok, I also use fmt and recode for part of the conversion).

	Regards,
	ldd