RE: Implementing " and ' in literals

Subject: RE: Implementing " and ' in literals
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:57:32 +0100
> So what do people think of this? It allows you to do the
> following in your XSLT:
>
> <xsl:value-of select="&quot;I'm feeling
> &amp;quot;sad&amp;quot;&quot;"/>
>
> Which gives you a literal of:
>
> I'm feeling "sad"

I'm feeling sad too. If you're going to create extensions to XPath syntax,
at least define syntax that will be rejected by other people's XPath
processors, rather than syntax that is correct according to the standard but
means something different. E.g. define a new kind of literal enclosed
between grave accents within which you can introduce any kind of escape
conventions you like. (And even then, you need to give up all hope of
claiming that your processor conforms with the standard).

Mike Kay