Re: xsl:key

Subject: Re: xsl:key
From: Michael French <mfrench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 17:10:50 -0500
Michael French asks:

Scott Boag wrote:
> If you want to find key in another source tree, you have
> to call the key() function inside a for-each which selects
> a node using the document() function

I can now see how this would work, but the problem I have
(I think), is scalability and computational complexity.

For example, I prefer:

   .. select="id('foo')"

to:

   .. select="//*[@id = 'foo']"

because I assume id() is a hashtable lookup,
and //*[@id='foo'] is probably a loop over elements.

So I want to prefer:

  <xsl:key match="document('bar.xml')//bar" ...  >
  ..  select="key(...)"

over a solitary:

  .. select="document('bar.xml')//bar[..]"

because I assume the xsl:key is a hashtable (?).
Perhaps the extra generality of xsl:key mean it cannot
be a hashtable, and must always be a map or dynamic
expression re-writer.

Maybe it's always dangerous to assume some underlying
data structure and consequent performance characteristics
without benchmarking a particular implementation !!?
But it is natural for developers to form some
mental picture of the plausible implementations,
and use that model to make decisions about the
possible (in)efficiency of their stylesheets.

Looking at the XSLT spec end-of-12.2 example
(slightly modified to make name an attribute
 for both <entry> and <bibref> elements):

What's the point of doing:

  <xsl:key name="bib" match="entry" use="@name"/>

  <xsl:template match="bibref">
    <xsl:variable name="name" select="@name"/>
    <xsl:for-each select="document('bib.xml')">
      <xsl:apply-templates select="key('bib',$name)"/>
    </xsl:for-each>
  </xsl:template>

rather than say:

  <xsl:template match="bibref">
    <xsl:variable name="name" select="@name"/>
    <xsl:apply-templates
     select="document('bib.xml')//entry[@name = $name]"/>
  </xsl:template>

if the xsl:key is not a static hashtable ?

What I want to do is build a table and look up entries:

  <xsl:key name="bib" select="document('bib.xml')//entry" use="@name"/>
                      ^^^^^^
  <xsl:template match="bibref">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="key('bib',@name)"/>