RE: Javascript : from xsl to xml

Subject: RE: Javascript : from xsl to xml
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 23:19:13 +0100
Chris,

>><script language="JavaScript">
>>  <![CDATA[
>>  function image() {
>>    window.open(']]><xsl:value-of
>>                      select="/ROOT/SEE_PICTURE/IMAGE/@href" /><![CDATA[');
>>  }
>>  ]]>
>></script>
>>
>>I hope that I've understood your problem correctly and that this helps you
>>solve it.
>>
>EEEEEK ok it's xsl but sheesh what are you going to do if you have 2 or more
>clickable images on a page?

What can I say?  I took it as an XSLT question arising from a confusion
over CDATA in the stylesheet vs. CDATA in the output, so that's what I
tried to explain.  This type of question has arisen here before, and there
are situations where javascript does have to be generated within the
stylesheet.

Having said that, referencing an external javascript file holding functions
that are called with varying parameters from different places within a site
is undoubtedly the cleaner design in this (and many) cases.

Cheers,

Jeni

Dr Jeni Tennison
Epistemics Ltd * Strelley Hall * Nottingham * NG8 6PE
tel: 0115 906 1301 * fax: 0115 906 1304 * email: jeni.tennison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx