The document() function....again !!

Subject: The document() function....again !!
From: "Melvyn Rosengarden" <melrose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:40:22 -0400
While I am an eager to get help from anyone, I want to direct this question
to "our teachers" in the group (Alan Kay, Jeni Tennison, and others).
Could someone please explain what goes on in the the XSLT call to
document(). I have hit a brick wall using MSXML3.DLL and have been only
marginally more successful with SAXON.

First let me say ALL files are in in the exact same directory....

I am using a string literal as my  URI parameter
             <xsl:apply-templates
select="document(somefile.xml)/some_element[@aval='true']"
" Open the somefile.xml file and return the <some_elemement> node collection
whose aval attribute is true. "

followed by..

<xsl:template match=some_element />
       <H1> FOUND IT </H1>

I never invoke the template above yet I am sure the XML data should produce
the desired result.

1.)   Is there any way to verify that the secondary XML has indeed been read
and parsed ?
2.)   In Alan Kay's Wrox text on XSLT he goes to great length to draw the
schematics of the XML input tree, XSLT transform and output trees.
       How is that structure impacted by a call to document() ? Is a second
Input tree created ?  If so what mechanism is used to
      alternate between those data structures.

If anyone can offer  ANY suggestion or insight into this process it would be
MOST greatlfully appreciated.

Thanks so very much to this whole list for their invaluable contributions.

"You already have zero privacy -- get over it !!
Melvyn Rosengarden
melrose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx