Re: Variable names *as* variables

Subject: Re: Variable names *as* variables
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:09:33 +0400
John ,

> John E. Simpson wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, in what sense do you consider your proposed solution
> to be "interspersing style with data"? Granted it's something of a hack --
> providing data in the stylesheet that's not in the source document -- but
> only in the sense that *any* literal result element does so, no?

There are no fixed criteria: it's all based upon aesthetic considerations ;-).
Maybe I have misinterpreted your data, but it seemed to me that your location
names  were also subject to change: you kinda reserved a possibility to add more
locations in the future. In my perception, a stylesheet should include "eternal"
things - it is supposed to be independent of the data. But maybe I am wrong, and
your city names are universal constants in your application domain, with their
numbers known to everybody and immutable - then it is OK ;-).

By the way: if you insist on including these data into a stylesheet, the most
straightforward way of doing it is to wrap them in templates that fire on
attributes, rather than variables. I mean the following:

<xsl:template match="@place[.='location1']">Midtown</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="@place[.='location2']">Greater Northeast</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="@place[.='location3']">Dallas-Ft. Worth</xsl:template>

Then, to insert a location into the output, you can just write:

<xsl:apply-templates select="@place"/>

IMHO, this is not much longer than using variables;  and document('') trick is
avoided.

Best regards,

Nikolai Grigoriev
RenderX