RE: space, xsl:strip-space etc.

Subject: RE: space, xsl:strip-space etc.
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:39:28 +0100
> I am trying to work out the implications of using the xml:space
> attribute when used with XSLT processors. My understanding
> from the XSLT spec is that when this value is set to "preserve" for an
element,
> whitespace only descendants of the element are always
> retained. This is true whatever values of
xsl:strip-space/xsl:preserve-space
> may have been used.

Yes.

> However, what is the meaning of the "default" value for this
> attribute ?

It means behave as if the xml:space were not included at all, ie. decide
whether to preserve whitespace based on xsl:strip-space/xsl:preserve-space

> My tests on Oracle and Saxon give differing results once xml:space is
> introduced. Saxon appeared to remove all text nodes if "default" (and
> "preserve" !) is used . Oracle seems to apply the result following
> application of xsl:strip-space.

A Saxon bug in this area is not an impossibility, the code looks OK at first
sight but I've just searched my test suite and its coverage of xml:space is
scanty, to say the least.

> Perhaps the anwser is simple, don't use the xml:space attribute with
> XSLT as the xsl: elements give all the control that is
> needed. Is this a reasonable suggestion ?

The xsl: elements only give control an an element-type level, xml:space
gives control at an individual instance level.

Mike Kay