Re: [xsl] Netscape Navigator not displaying emdash

Subject: Re: [xsl] Netscape Navigator not displaying emdash
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:56:44 -0700 (MST)
Typrowicz, Jim wrote:
> I have an emdash character (a long dash) that I would like to display on my
> HTML page, which is generated with Cocoon/XSL.  The character displays fine
> in IE but not Netscape.
> I have something like:  ...test &#x2014; test
> In IE it comes out "...test - test", as it should.  In Netscape it comes out
> as "...test &mdash; test".

Your XSLT processor is serializing the character as &mdash; which is legal
in HTML but Netscape doesn't like it. This is a bug in Netscape. Versions
prior to 6 don't recognize the entities corresponding to characters over
255. Netscape should accept &#8212; instead, but you have no way of
forcing your XSLT processor to serialize em dash characters that way.

Go to and in the
left frame choose "em dash" to jump to that point in the right frame
to test your browser & font combinations.

   - Mike
Mike J. Brown, software engineer at            My XML/XSL resources: in Denver, Colorado, USA