RE: [xsl] xsl:key and document()

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl:key and document()
From: Robert Goheen <RobertG@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:24:00 -0800

It does sound like an omission.  I was a bit surprised that you could slip
into a new document context without an easy way to refer back to the base
document; storing the base doc tree in a variable seems a bit hack-y and
inefficient.

> In XSLT 1.1, there's 'support for XML Base'. It would be nice to have
> a base-uri() function in XPath 1.1 (or perhaps in XSLT 1.1) that
> allowed you to access the base URI of a node. As a temporary work

Maybe we should start a petition? :)  Ok, I am half serious.  Is there a
proper way to make suggestions of this sort to the proper W3C working group?

> around, it might be worth adopting a convention of adding an xml:base
> attribute to the document element to give its URL.

That's not even really an option to me now (and, in my
far-less-than-expert-opinion, seems an ickier workaround than using a
variable for the base doc tree).  In my current project, docs may be
processed on the server (from a database/middle tier) and/or client, and all
URLs will contain a query string that impact the information in the docs.