RE: [xsl] Using XPath expressions in modes

Subject: RE: [xsl] Using XPath expressions in modes
From: Benjamin Franz <snowhare@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:09:58 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Michael Kay wrote:

> > This seems like a very basic question, but I wasn't able to locate the
> > answer to this on any FAQs....
>
> It's in the Dave Pawson FAQ under "things you can't do in XSLT".
>
> > 		<xsl:apply-templates select="category-list"
> > mode="$mode"/>
>
> > Using $mode doesn't seem to work.  Is it even legal?
>
> No, it isn't legal. The mode attribute must be a QName, not an XPath
> expression.
>
> Next question: no, mode="{$mode}" doesn't work either.

But you can probably work around the issue by using <xsl:choose> clauses.

<xsl:choose>
 <xsl:when test="$mode='blah'">
  <xsl:apply-templates select='category-list' mode='blah'/>
 </xsl:when>
 <xsl:when test="$mode='foo'">
  <xsl:apply-templates select='category-list' mode='foo'/>
 </xsl:when>
</xsl:choose>

--
Benjamin Franz

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming."
                                         ---C.A.R. Hoare