Re: [xsl] How do I get MSXML to STOP de-encoding text?

Subject: Re: [xsl] How do I get MSXML to STOP de-encoding text?
From: "Michael Beddow" <mbnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:20:55 +0100
On Tuesday, August 28, 2001 1:21 AM
ComCity wrote:

> I wish i could post the before and after
> but as soon as I post into the email, they look exactly the same.
They tell
> me the only difference is that there are extra spaces in there and
carriage
> returns.
>
> So, I guess what I'm trying to do is to "stop" this encoding or
deencoding
> altogether.

Alas, you've hit two of the most troublesome and misunderstood issues
that haunt this list: whitespace handling and encoding, both at once.

You can't "stop" de-and re-encoding where xml processors handle your
data unless you have sufficient control of the operation to ensure that
everything is utf-8 encoded throughout, which you clearly don't have. So
the only solution is to get to grips with how and where the encoding
processes work and then manage their effects, which is not really an
XSLT topic.

But this may not be an encoding issue at all. Those "extra spaces and
carriage returns" may be the cause of the problem. If the processing you
are doing adds or removes just a single white space character, UPS will
declare the license invalid. So you need to look into whitespace
handling in XML in general and in these MS libraries in particular.
Again, not really an XSLT issue, because XSLT handling of white space
has distinctive features of its own which aren't involved in your case.

Michael