Re: [xsl] XSL-T to map a D(A)G

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL-T to map a D(A)G
From: Joerg Pietschmann <joerg.pietschmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:02:26 +0200
Goetz Bock <bock@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> I've an XML file that describes a DG and am looking for an xsl-t to map
> this into a SVG/PNG image.
[snip]
> Anyway, has anyone ever written a D(A)G mapper in XSL-T?

Probably not, though i know quite a few people (including me) who could
use it.

> Or should I just forget XSL-T for this and use a "real" programming
> language.

It's certainly going to be messy in XSLT, or worse. OTOH, the set processing
capabilities could probably taken to some good effect.

One big problem in XSLT is calculating the size of boxes around text strings,
especially if you use proportional fonts :-( Shame on the SVG developers for
not including automatic calulation of box sizes :-) (Well, i guess they left
this out on purpose).

The following book is probably the most comprehensive publication directed
at the problem of automatically laying out graphs. I've sitting one exemplar
on my shelf, but i still have to find time to apply the wisdom accumulated
therein...

Giuseppe Di Battista et al.: Graph Drawing: Algorithms for the Visualization
of Graphs, Prentice Hall; ISBN: 0133016153

HTH. Tell me if you got something working :-)

J.Pietschmann