Re: [xsl] Serializing external XML documents

Subject: Re: [xsl] Serializing external XML documents
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:19:00 +0100
Hi Pedro,

> Imagine all the things we can do if we could implement a pure XSLT
> transactional application accessing a DB using HTTP. Consider
> different points: XSLT over Cocoon for dynamic application
> generation, the proper XSLT programs (o meta-XSLT stylesheets) could
> be stored in the database, dynamic code generation (XML Schema and
> XQueryX), talking SOAP or WebServices (WSDL) from XSLT, etc.
>
> But coming back to your "side effects" complaining, I agree with
> you, and I would like to know if there is anything foreseen on this
> topic for XSLT 2.0. If we would like to use XSLT as pure XML
> processing, a specific HTTP protocol access function from an XSLT
> program is desirable (if not compulsory).

I wasn't really 'complaining' as such :) I am in absolute agreement
that functions that give more flexibility about the information that
you can get using HTTP would be highly desirable (we had a thread on
the EXSLT mailing list about this a while ago).

If you're not already aware of them, you might want to look at the
database-accessing extensions to Xalan
(http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/extensionslib.html#sql) for some other
ideas, and Joerg Pietschmann's ideas about using document() with
custom EntityResolvers, which he posted here (archived at
http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200107/msg01261.html).

Cheers,

Jeni

---