Re: [xsl] How to read the encoding of an XML document

Subject: Re: [xsl] How to read the encoding of an XML document
From: James Garriss <jpgarriss@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:59:13 -0400
At 08:30 PM 10/25/2001 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
>> If I no longer know what my original XML document was encoded as, how do I
> know the appropriate encoding set to specify for the output?

every xml application is mandated to support at least the utf8 and utf16
encodings, so either of those is always appropriate  (or at least
acceptable) whatever the original encoding of the file.

Ok. If you recall, I started this discussion by mentioning that I am receiving XML documents from several European countries. So the pertinent question for me is "if UTF-8 and/or UTF-16 will be the output encoding set I must use, will they handle charcters from the languages I care about?"

I found this statement on unicode.org:

"What Characters Does the Unicode Standard Include? The Unicode Standard defines codes for characters used in the major languages written today. Scripts include the European alphabetic scripts, Middle Eastern right-to-left scripts, and scripts of Asia."

So it seems to me that I should be safe outputing my data to UTF-16. That make sense?

Thanks much, David and Mike.

--James Garriss