Re: [xsl] Sorting and attributes

Subject: Re: [xsl] Sorting and attributes
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:24:29 +0000
Hi Mike,

> But I was not sure the syntax was giving me the attribute for the
> particular PERSNAME each time. I did check some of them, but was
> unsure in this multistructured xml if I would get the right ones
> since I asked for //PERSNAME (there being some for C02 and C03
> levels differentiated by the attribute alone which I did not use as
> a filter but instead requested as output).

It should be giving you the attribute for the particular PERSNAME. The
paths within an xsl:for-each are evaluated relative to the node that
you're processing with the xsl:for-each.  When you do:

  <xsl:value-of select="./@ENCODINGANALOG" />

(or the simpler <xsl:value-of select="@ENCODINGANALOG" />) then you
get the ENCODINGANALOG attribute of the current node, the PERSNAME
element that you're processing.

> One thing that seems to plague me is the multistructure of my EAD
> xml. I cannot change the structure, but it makes it difficult to
> write style sheets with confidence at this stage for elements that
> appear in both parent and child nodes.

I'm interested in this because it has implications on how markup
languages should be designed. What do you mean by "the multistructure"
of your EAD XML? What improvements could be made to the XML to make it
easier for you to write the XSLT for it?

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison