RE: [xsl] dynamically select an element

Subject: RE: [xsl] dynamically select an element
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:33:05 -0000
Yan,

You need to pass as a parameter the required field from the form to the XSL
stylesheet.

You can do this using Javascript on the client or ASP on the server (in a
general windows environment...)

To do this clientside, using msxml4:

==html==
<form name="searchForm" action="searchXML()">
<input type="text" id="searchVal"/>
<input type="submit"/>
</form>

==javascript==
  function searchXML()
  {
     xml  = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument.4.0");
     xml.async=false;
     xml.load("yourXML.xml");

     xsl = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument.4.0");
     xsl.async=false;
     xsl.load("yourXSL.xsl");

     xslTemp = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XSLTemplate.4.0");
     xslTemp.stylesheet = xsl;

     xslProc = xslTemp.createProcessor();
     xslProc.input = xml;
     xslProc.addParameter("param1",document.searchForm.searchVal.value);
     //pull value from form

     document.write(xslProc.transform);
  }
</SCRIPT>

===xsl==
<?xml version='1.0'?>
version="1.0">
<xsl:param name="param1"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:apply-templates select="*[local-name()=$param1]"/>
</xsl:apply-templates>

........and so on

I hope this is a start

cheers