RE: [xsl] Loosing encoding information

Subject: RE: [xsl] Loosing encoding information
From: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:19:36 +0100

Did you ever have content with non-ASCII or non-ISO-8859-* characters?

> anyone else)
> please explain to me what exactly I am loosing? (When I say encoding, I
> strongly presume that you don't mean the character encoding as in the
> problem I had, but in a broader way...?)

If your response object happens to use a non-Unicode encoding, the XML
you're writing to will be malformed (it doesn't declare it's encoding, yet
it contains non-ASCII characters).

> Insidently, I looked up w3shool.com, looking for examples of the "right"
> way, and they showed (transforming on the client):
> ..
> document.write(xml.transformNode(xsl))
>
> Which is not exactly the same as Julian Reschke's example, but doesn't
> convert it into a string, before output, either.

This is somehow different, because you're writing to a document (HTML DOM),
not a response object (which wraps a byte stream).