Re: [xsl] display parts of XML tree with xsl:copy ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] display parts of XML tree with xsl:copy ?
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:09:58 +0000
Hi Robert,

> From the following article DB (SigmodRecord) i want to e.g. only
> articles by a certain author but the result tree should still
> contain the information of <number> which is nearer to the root.

The way I'd approach this kind of filtering problem is to create a
basic stylesheet that performs the identity transformation (copies
whatever you get in the source) as follows:

<xsl:transform version="1.0"

<!-- identity template -->
<xsl:template match="node()|@*">
  <xsl:copy>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="@*|node()" />
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:transform>

Then, to that identity transform you can add templates that filter out
portions of the source document. For example, to get basically the
same thing as the source document, but only include articles that have
Karen Botnich as an author, I'd use:

<xsl:transform version="1.0"

<!-- identity template -->
<xsl:template match="node()|@*">
  <xsl:copy>
    <xsl:apply-templates select="@*|node()" />
  </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="articles">
  <articles>
    <xsl:apply-templates
      select="article[authors/author = 'Karen Botnich']" />
  </articles>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:transform>

Since you want to copy the whole of such articles, you could use
xsl:copy-of instead:

<xsl:template match="articles">
  <articles>
    <xsl:copy-of
      select="article[authors/author = 'Karen Botnich']" />
  </articles>
</xsl:template>

That's likely to be slightly faster.

If you're more comfortable with a pull method, you could use the
stylesheet instead:

<xsl:transform version="1.0"

<xsl:template match="/">
  <issues>
    <xsl:for-each select="/issues/issue">
      <issue>
        <xsl:copy-of select="volume | number" />
        <articles>
          <xsl:copy-of
            select="articles/article[authors/author = 'Karen Botnich']" />
        </articles>
      </issue>
    </xsl:for-each>
  </issues>