Re: [xsl] 𡁀 coming out as ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] 𡁀 coming out as ?
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 16:17:36 -0700 (MST)
Randy Belknap wrote:
> I've got a .xsl file with the following html markup in it:

> where &#21040; is the decimal value of a chinese character.  The problem is
> that when I run the xsl through the transformer (MICROSOFT.XMLDOM), it
> I am doing wrong?

Post a code sample of how you are creating the document and invoking the
transformer, and where your result is going. I'm sure someone can point
out what you're doing wrong.

> I tried to get around the problem by used CDATA as follows:

> displays &21040; instead of the chinese character.

As it should.

> (BTW, I thought CDATA
> was supposed to be not parsed at all.)

It is not parsed in the sense that it is not scanned for "&" and "<"
characters indicating the start of more markup, but it is parsed in the sense
that it is read by an XML parser and reported to the application as a block of
character data just like any other character data; it is not flagged as being
special in any way. It's just a convenience for the document author so you
don't have to escape "&" and "<". Most of the time you should just pretend
CDATA sections don't exist, because they won't help you in the way that you
want them to.

   - Mike