[xsl] XPath floating point arithmetic

Subject: [xsl] XPath floating point arithmetic
From: "Richard Jinks" <cyberthymia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:40:57 -0000
Hi

Can someone ease a bit of confusion for me, please?

In relation to XPath, what would the answer be to the following operation:

5.46 mod 2.6

Should it be

a) 1 (implying the numbers are rounded to nearest integer, then 'mod'ed)
b) 0.26 (implying some sort of floating point mod operation)
c) something else (implying I've got my sums wrong and need to learn how to
use a calculator)

?

The example in the XPath spec only covers integer mods, the spec has a note
saying that it *isn't* the same as the IEEE 754 remainder operation (?), and
the XSLT Ref 2nd Ed (Michael Kay, p91) says that all operations "behave
exactly as specified by IEEE 754".

A quick straw poll of the only XPath implementation I had easily to hand
(libxml), suggested the correct answer was a) (i.e. 1).

Thanks for any help,
Richard