RE: [xsl] Grouping and Sorting on value inside group

Subject: RE: [xsl] Grouping and Sorting on value inside group
From: "Hunsberger, Peter" <Peter.Hunsberger@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 10:07:37 -0500
> If you want to avoid using "//dataset" you could have a key like this:
> <xsl:key name="dset" match="dataset" use="'all'"/>
> and access it using
> select="key('dataset','all')"

>> current()/@dataid]

>> $sortcol and
>

> I agree with Wendell that the whole generate-id() malarkey is redundant,
but
> it doesn't do the same thing as key('dataids',
> concat(local-name(..),@dataId))[1] because you will get every node that
> satisfies the predicate and not just the first one.
> And every node in //dataset/*/* that has a @dataid will be in the 'dataid'
> key and satisify the predicate.

As I said in my reply to Wendell, I think this is why the generate-id works:
it groups the sets of elements by the matching dataid?

> So won't this work just as well:
> <xsl:for-each select="key('dataset','all')/*/*">

By itself, that returns everything ungrouped.  If I try to add grouping
logic to it I get nothing, I'm not sure why, but I'll spend some more time
trying to figure it out...

> The sort looks really cunning and probably is doing all the hard work here
> ;)

Hah, I wish, the group was returning the proper number of rows before I
every added the sort.  It just wasn't sorting them...

I'm afraid to admit this, but the more I work on this, the more confused I
get...