[xsl] Re: AW: Article: An XSL Calculator: The Math Modules of FXSL --> ?

Subject: [xsl] Re: AW: Article: An XSL Calculator: The Math Modules of FXSL --> ?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 01:33:30 -0700 (PDT)
Braumuller, Hans <h dot braumueller at hanseorga dot de> wrote:

> Dear Dimitre,
>
> in the past i have take a look at your Fxsl.
>
> Regarding Fxsl i have a doubt:
>
> Is there a possibility to implement some modules by pure xslt, like
> by Exslt (J.Tennison) with Templates ?
>
> If yes, which are these modules from your Fxsl library ?
>
> And again if positive, is somewhere a FAQ?

Hi Hans,

All modules of FXSL are written in *pure* XSLT 1.0.

And this is not the case with EXSL, the main purpose of which is to
specify function definitions that vendors of XSLT processors must
implement.

Typically, there's some period of time between the moment an EXSL
function definition is published/updated and the moment some vendor of
an XSLT processor implements it.

Also, at any time there would be only some XSLT processors implementing
EXSL.

On the other side, FXSL modules can be used immediately and do not
require any action/support from the vendors. The only extension
function used in FXSL is the vendor:node-set() function, which is
implemented in almost all XSLT processors. At present FXSL offers
separate editions for MSXML, SAXON and XALAN. The only difference in
the code for these editions is in the declaration of the
vendor-extensions namespace (which is necessary only because the
vendor-node-set() function has to be called). In practice, to change
the code of the MSXML edition to work with SAXON, one has just to
change:

xmlns:vendor="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt"

xmlns:vendor="http://icl.com/saxon";

once in every stylesheet (file).

I'd suggest that you read the articles before including FXSL in your
code. I'd be happy to help in case of any problems,

To summarise, you can start using FXSL immediately, it is written in
pure XSLT 1.0.

The downloads of FXSL and all the articles explaining its main
functionality can be accessed from the home page of FXSL:

http://fxsl.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.