Re: [xsl] XalanC++: 'Xalan' versus 'testXSLT', XML Schema support?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XalanC++: 'Xalan' versus 'testXSLT', XML Schema support?
From: "Edward L. Knoll" <ed.knoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 07:52:54 -0600
> > 1) What's the differences between the Xalan C++ 'Xalan' and 'testXSLT'
> > executables?  Why would I select one over the other?
>
> this is a Xalan question, ask on a Xalan list......but honestly use the
> thing that says Xalan C++ .....

Do you have an address to such a group?  I found this XSL-List from the
Apache/Xalan site.  The only Apache/Xalan support type e-mail address
I've found has yeilded no responses to my queries.

> > 2) I'm starting to check into XML validation.  My thought was to go the
> > XML Schema route as opposed to the DTD route.   Do either of the
>
> You may also find RELAXNG to your liking, though support is thin with
> respect to C++
>
> you will find that XML Schema will do everything that you need, I would
> suggest getting your hands on any of the editors that are out there for XML
> ( xmlspy, or goto www.perfectxml.com there is a bit o stuf there )

Don't care about the C++.  Just need a (preferably prebuilt) standalone
XSL processor.  The XalanC++ had a Sun/Solaris installation which
included a standalone XSL processor: two as it turned out - Xalan and
testXSLT.

> > XalanC++ processors support validation via XML Schema?  If not is there
>
> more xalan questions ? no wonder no  one answered
> since Xalan uses Xerces-C++  yes it supports XML Schema

> > something else I could utilize which does?  I'd prefer
> > standalone/prebuilt executables?  We're attempting to do all of our
> > XML/XSL processing without doing any programming (other than writing
> > XML/XSL files).
>
> sounds like you will be chaining things together and piping the output of
> one transform into another.....
>
> I think that you would be better served downloading instant saxon from
> saxon.sourceforge.net
>
> play around with this a little bit....also you know that IE has XSLT
> processor and XML Schema built in, it also has an executable option.....
>
> you really should play around a little before trying to create a production
> environment, XSLT all by its lonesome may not fulfill your requirements...

Actually, Xalan is working very well so far.  We have an existing
database-centric application which supports report generation in three
different formats from queries made against the database.  All of the
formatting was done in SQL.  We're changing the application to output
the results in an intermediate/generic/XML format.  From this were using
XSL(T) to create the three different formats: (X)HTML, CSV, and text.
The transformations are already working.  I want to be able to validate
the input XML files as a cross-check to ensure that XML generation is
working correctly.  I also want to validate the generated XHTML (which
we transform to HTML using XSL) as a cross-check to ensure the XHTML
transformation (the most complex one) is working correctly.

Ed

--
Edward L. Knoll   Phone (work)     : (719)484-2717
                  e-mail (work)    : f49660c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx