Re: [xsl] xslt critique

Subject: Re: [xsl] xslt critique
From: "Jeremy Saldate" <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:03:57 -0700
Hello Greg,

If you haven't already, get a good book on XSLT.  XSLT is a declarative
programming language, which is fairly different from traditional functional
programming.  Understanding these differences will greatly assist you.
Search the XSL list archives for book recommendations.  There are various
good books out there, specifically tailored to different skill levels.
Something like Michael Kay's "XSLT Programmers Reference" may be overkill
for you if you're just starting out, although a good book.  Hence, choose
something appropriate to your skill level.  Jeni Tennison's "Beginning XSLT"
may be more appropriate... or not, you make the call.

Microsoft's XSLT debugger tool is very rudimentary, although the only tool
I've used thus far that allows you to step through the code (I haven't
experimented with the .NET XML tools yet, so I can't speak to them...).  My
tool of choice, although overpriced, is currently Altova's XMLSpy.  It
allows speedy development by means of a good UI, but without step-debugging
capabilities.

Separate your XPath from your XSLT.  I've seen more than one developer
confused by incorrect XPath.  Try using xsl:value-of statements with an XML
sample to ensure any modified XPath is correct prior to altering XSL.  If
you don't have the proper node selected, your function won't return a value
regardless, and therefore may appear not to work.  Search the XSL List
archive and Google for help, and if you're still stumped, ask for help from
the list.  There's plenty of highly-qualified talent available.

One last note of help, and realize that I mean no insult to your
intelligence, but, not knowing how new you are... make sure that when you do
search websites, you and they are referring to the same XSL Namespace.
There are, of course, incompatibilities between versions.

Hope this helps you...

Jeremy Saldate,
Area 99 Designs