RE: [xsl] trying to set a parameter equal to an elements attribute

Subject: RE: [xsl] trying to set a parameter equal to an elements attribute
From: "Dion Houston" <dionh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:55:27 -0700
Well, actually there are even more issues with the example:

	<header volume="8"/>

	<xsl:param name="vol">
		<xsl:value-of select="header[@volume]"/>
	</xsl:param>

OK, first of all in a simple case like this, you probably don't want an
RTF, although it'd work...  So the first step is to add a select:

	<xsl:param name="vol" select="header[@volume]"/>

The second issue is in the XPath... note that the end result of the
above XPath is a _header_ node (header[@volume] means all header nodes
which have a volume attribute), not the volume attribute.  Therefore,
when you use it as a number, it's going to take the text content of the
header element, which is empty.

What you probably intend is:

	<xsl:param name="vol" select="header/@volume"/>

In this case, you're going to assign the volume attribute to the
variable.  As a matter of preference, since you're using this as a
numeric value, I'd go ahead and case it:

	<xsl:param name="vol" select="number(header/@volume)"/>

Because of the semantics of nodesets in different places, this can
sometimes keep you out of trouble.

HTH!

Dion