Re: [xsl] Outputting from more than one source

Subject: Re: [xsl] Outputting from more than one source
From: Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:26:01 +0200
Is using extension function possible??

<xsl:template match="/">
<xsl:variable name="reg">
<xsl:copy-of select="document('clientes_ora.xml')/clientes_ora/registro"/>
<xsl:copy-of select="document('clientes_sqlsrv.xml')/clientes_sqlsrv/registro"/>
</xsl:variable>

  <xsl:apply-templates select="xx:node-set($reg)">
    <xsl:sort select="nome"/>
  </xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:template>

This should work in every case, because you are creating a temporary XML tree. The only problem is the use of the extension function node-set(). You need different code for MSXML and Mozilla's Transformiix. I don't know if Transformiix has a node-set() function.

Regards,

Joerg

Gustavo Moreira wrote:
I don't understand that both processors should have this bug.

Now they are three: Saxon also brought the same result. I guess it is not a bug: it simply does not join the documents before sorting. But I'm surprised with the fact that it is not possible.

I'm starting to think about changing my Java code, as Liao suggested.
Anyway I'll still be searching for a solution for this.
So, if you guys have some another idea, please contact me.

I put the last code I tried below, in case someone wants to give a last
shot.
(Comments and omissions are between ...[ ]...)

Thanks for all your help,
Gustavo Moreira

--clientes.xsl-----------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0"?>
version="1.0">

 <xsl:template match="/">
       <xsl:apply-templates
select="document('clientes_ora.xml')/clientes_ora/registro |

document('clientes_sqlsrv.xml')/clientes_sqlsrv/registro">
            <xsl:sort select="nome"/>
      </xsl:apply-templates>
 </xsl:template>

 <xsl:template match="*">
    <b><xsl:number value="position()"/>-
       <xsl:value-of select="nome"/></b><br/>
     <xsl:value-of select="endereco"/>-
     <xsl:value-of select="cidade"/><br/><br/>
 </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

--Results: -------------------------------

1- 3P CONSTRUÇÕES E INCORPORAÇÕES LTDA.
RUA DOMINGOS DE ALMEIDA, 3670 - 6 ANDAR- URUGUAIANA

2- 3R INFORMÁTICA LTDA
AV. PROTÁSIO ALVES, 3240 - LOJA 07 E 08- PORTO ALEGRE

3- A & L REPRESENTAÇÕES E SERVIÇOS LTDA.
RUA EVARISTO DA VEIGA, 151- PORTO ALEGRE

4- A ADVENTUS ELETRICISTAS LTDA
TRAVESSA SERAFIM TERRA, 207- PORTO ALEGRE

5- A FURNINHA HOTEIS E TURISMO LTDA
RUA JOAQUIM PORTO, 281- TORRES

... [plus 3911 clients - the next two are the last from clientes_ora.xml]...
... [note that in 3919 it starts to bring the records from
clientes_sqlsrv.xml]...

3917- ZONTA UNIFORMES E PECAS LTDA
RUA PALMEIRINHAS, 330- CRICIÚMA

3918- ZORTEA CONSTRUCOES LTDA
RUA CEL. FARRAPOS, 1141 - Tlx 492479- CAMPOS NOVOS

3919 - A.ARAUJO ENGENHARIA E MONTAGENS
RUA MARIA URUTAITI, 441- ESTADO DE SÃO PAULO

3920 - A.C.DA CUNHA CONSTR.E INCORP.LTDA
RUA DOMINGOS DE ALMEIDA, 1541- URUGUAIANA

3921 - A.J. SILVA E CERCATO LTDA
AV. SALVADOR LEAO, 402- PORTO ALEGRE

...[plus the rest of the clients from clientes_sqlsrv.xml]...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joerg Heinicke" <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx> To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 5:51 PM Subject: Re: [xsl] Outputting from more than one source

I didn't really expect it to work, it was only a possibility. Sometimes
ago MSXML had a bug with Result Tree Fragments: stored in a variable
they became node sets. There was the possibility that the same works here.

I don't understand that both processors should have this bug. But client
processing is more or less unreliable - what if the client has no XML /
XSLT browser? Is server processing possible? Or at least try your code
with another processor like Saxon or Xalan.

Regards,

Joerg

Gustavo Moreira wrote:

Joerg: It brings the same, even with this variable.
I'm using MSXML 4.0 (IE6) and Mozilla.
In both the result is the same.
Do you have another suggestion?

Liao: I could change the Java code to produce only one document.
But I don't want to change the specification of my project.
Just for the record, this project is a parcial requisite for my

graduation.

Let's say I'll change my Jave code as a last option.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joerg Heinicke" <joerg.heinicke@xxxxxx> To: <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 7:39 AM Subject: Re: [xsl] Outputting from more than one source

Hmm, it should work - at least it looks ok. What processor are you
using? What happens if you do it in the following way:

<xsl:variable name="reg" select="/clients_ora/reg |
            document('other.xml')/clients_sqlsrv/reg |
            document('another.xml')/clients_db2/reg"/>

<xsl:apply-templates select="$reg">
   <xsl:sort select="name"/>
</xsl:apply-templates>

Regards,

Joerg

Gustavo Moreira wrote:

Yes, but what if there are three or more documents?

This, for instance, would this work?:

xsl:apply-templates select="/clients_ora/reg |
document('other.xml')/clients_sqlsrv/reg |
document('another.xml')/clients_db2/reg">
    <xsl:sort select="name"/>
</xsl:apply-templates>

I am using this:

    <xsl:apply-templates
       select="document('clients_sqlsrv.xml')//clients_sqlsrv/reg |
               document('clients_ora.xml')//clients_ora/reg">
      <xsl:sort select="name"/>
    </xsl:apply-templates>

...and it doesn't work because it brings first all the clients from the

1st

file (ordered), then it follows with all the clients from the 2nd file
(ordered).
What I want is all clients from all files ordered, no matter what file

they

come from.

Gustavo Moreira

System Development
VIRBUS AG
Fon  +49(0)341-979-7419
Fax  +49(0)341-979-7409
joerg.heinicke@xxxxxxxxx
www.virbus.de

VIRBUS hat jetzt als erster deutscher Softwarehersteller die Zertifizierung für den 3D Secure-Authentifizierungsstandard "Verified by Visa" erhalten. Details unter http://www.virbus.de/de/press/pressemitteilung/20020828_verified_by_VISA.