Re: Functional Language wasRE: [xsl] Re: declarative language, need for loops etc.

Subject: Re: Functional Language wasRE: [xsl] Re: declarative language, need for loops etc.
From: "Kurt Cagle" <cagle@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:40:07 -0700
> XSLT and XQuery are complementary technologies, or they could be.
> XQuery says nothing about data storage, and the intention is that
> you can query a bunch of RDBMS, a file system full of XML documents
> and a web service all at once with a single query, and return the
> result as XML. Pipe it through an XSLT processor to get (X)HTML,
> WML, XSLFO (PDF) or and SVG graph or comma separated lists.

That's true, though I think as more databases move into a web services mode,
the advantage of the anonymous data store becomes a moot point. You see this
in the collections() function in XPath2, which loads in nodal connections
from across a wide variety of sources, so long as those sources can be
specified as URLs. Granted, with XQuery you can create standalone filters
for database queries, but  the question I have here is whether this feature
will necessarily dislodge the generations of SQL programmers who are less
inclined to use yet another query language.

-- Kurt