Re: [xsl] absolute position fo:block to attain magazine like layout

Subject: Re: [xsl] absolute position fo:block to attain magazine like layout
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:50:50 -0600
G. Ken Holman wrote:
At 2002-11-12 09:23 -0500, Noel Golding wrote:

Is it possible to position a block in an exact location and have the rest of
the text flow around it?
example. I have a two column newsletter and I would like to put a callout
box in the middle of the page.

This is not available in XSL-FO 1.0.

A side float will allow you to put an image at one end of the line or the other, and the text will go around it, but there is no construct that can be placed arbitrarily on a page and have other content flow around it.

It just occurred to me that you could possibly fake this if you know the exact geometry of everything:

1. Position your main block absolutely as a block-container. Set the z-index to a large number to ensure it's positioned on top.
2. In the start-side column, use an edge-ward side float whose extent will equal that part of the absolute block that would impinge on the column.
3. Ditto for the end-side column with a start-ward float.

This should work, but I haven't tried it yet. I will when I get a chance.

Of course, if the leading edge of all the parties isn't known, then this probably can't work.

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@xxxxxxxxxx