Re: [xsl] Borders between columns

Subject: Re: [xsl] Borders between columns
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 19:00:39 -0600
Mete Kural wrote:
Hello,

How do you put borders or lines between multiple
columns? For instance I have a three-columned page and
I want to put a line between the first and the second
column and second and the third column. How do I do it
that it looks like this:

xxxx | xxxx | xxxx
xxxx | xxxx | xxxx
xxxx | xxxx | xxxx
xxxx | xxxx | xxxx
xxxx | xxxx | xxxx
xxxx | xxxx | xxxx

You can use static content in the region-before or region-after to create the rules. A table would probably be the most interchangable markup to use. Not quite as nice as just specifying rules as part of the region-body declaration or something, but it will work.

Note that you cannot have both static content and a flow in the same page region, so you can't use static content in the region-body to do this. However, the edge regions can overlap the body region, so by setting a large extent on one of the edge regions you can make it as big as the body region and therefore use it to create overlays/underlays, such as column rules.

The only trick is working out the precise geometry of the table to get the rules in the right place.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@xxxxxxxxxx