Re: [xsl] qualitative decline of xsl-list questions

Subject: Re: [xsl] qualitative decline of xsl-list questions
From: "Michael H. Semcheski" <mhs-list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 12:44:38 -0500

One thing is that debugging xslt problems takes some experience, and can seem rather different than debugging, say, javascript. In practice, I have found that as I get better at diagnosing my xslt problems, I have gotten better at debugging javascript and python too. I think that you need to apply more flexibility for diagnosing and correcting xslt problems and enhancing that ability is useful everywhere else.

Cheers,

Tom P

I can relate to what you are saying. When I had to take C++ in college, I had a pretty good understanding of programming and logic (at least thats what I thought.) The next semester, I took ML, and there was a big learning curve, and you just couldn't "hack it together" like you could with C++. When I came back to C++ the biggest adjustment was not using recursion for everything, and when that is your biggest problem, you're in good shape.

When I really started digging into xslt, it reminded me a lot of ML, except that there were practical applications for which I could use it. The clarity and elegance of the code seems to rub off on me when I have to use less elegant packages, like asp.