Re: [xsl] schema -> HTML Forms

Subject: Re: [xsl] schema -> HTML Forms
From: S Woodside <sbwoodside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 12:41:50 -0500

On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 05:40 AM, Jeni Tennison wrote:

Hi Simon,

I'm looking at using a schema to generate an HTML form that a user can
fill in. This is to save them from having to edit the XML directly. I'd
like to do this using XSLT, and looking at it, it seems like a pretty
common thing for people to want to do. So, there must be some code
floating around that does this but I can't find it. Please help?

I wrote a stylesheet to do this for Chapter 10 of "Professional XML Schemas" from Wrox Press. The code is online at the Wrox website at http://web.wrox.com/professional/5474.zip, though the book contains the documentation for the stylesheet.

Thanks Jeni. I'm using an RNG (relax ng) schema so I think I'll try to roll my own and keep yours as a backup in case I get stuck.

I guess an issue I'm going to hit eventually is dealing with situations where a schema allows zeroOrMore or oneOrMore (to use rng terms) of a set of items ... if the user wants to add more than I provided on the forms there's going to have to be some feedback back and forth.

Also I notice that you seem to be using javascript for validation .. that's cool.

Overall though, your code looks at first glance like it's very procedural rather than functional/declarative. Was that a matter of style or did you find that to be necessary in this instance?

simon

---
www.simonwoodside.com