Re: [xsl] speed optimization

Subject: Re: [xsl] speed optimization
From: Daniel Veillard <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:39:03 +0100
On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 11:19:37PM +0100, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   Well, maybe Saxon's reports are more fine-grained. chaning libxslt
> > is of course doable, but I have plenty of stuff on my plate already
> > and so far nobody requested something finer-grain.
>
> I suppose if a huge template is identified as a bottleneck,
> one can split it into several named templates. Named
> template invocation and passing some former variables as
> parameters wouldn't add too much overhead, wouldn't it?

  "too much" being of course dependant on the overall time spent
on the given template(s) and the implementation too ... For example
in libxslt I didn't tried to optimize parameter/variable slots
computations, so it will have more impact than say on Saxon where
apparently the compilation process is quite stronger.
  Fine optimization analysis will always end up as building an
(mental) representation of the compilation process. But going that
deep is usually not needed for locating and killing the main
bottlenecks usually cleaned up by changing the algorithm. I would
be surprized if XSLT was that different from other programming
languages for this.

Daniel

veillard@xxxxxxxxxx  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/