Re: [xsl] speed optimization

Subject: Re: [xsl] speed optimization
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 00:33:34 GMT

Any improvement is better than none. And I suspect that in fact there
are many types of bottlenecks which slow down all processors, such as
match="//foo", or stuff like
   <t:param name="bar" select="document(doc.xml)/bar"/>
   <t:param name="baz" select="document(doc.xml)/bar/baz"/>
instead of
   <t:param name="doc" select="document(doc.xml)"/>
   <t:param name="bar" select="$doc/bar"/>
   <t:param name="baz" select="$bar/baz"/>

I'd be surprised if either of those made any difference.
// is expensive in select attributes but in a match it's just doing
nothing.
similarly a processor has to cache the result of document() (almost
certainly, to get the node identity semantics right) so explictly
saving it in a variable is unlikely to make much difference (but does
make the code clearer)

David