Re: [xsl] Progress indicator in Xalan?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Progress indicator in Xalan?
From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:30:56 -0500
>How difficult will it be to code a progress indicator that would show the
percentage
> of the process when we parse and transform an XML into another XML/HTML
using an XSL

Very. Remember, an XSLT stylesheet is a program. It may loop. It may
recurse. It may go back and reconsider data from sections of the document
previously processed. And its results are dependent not only on the size
of the input data, but on its structure and details. There really is no
good way for the processor to guess progress on any but the most trivial
stylesheets.

Try writing progress indicators into your stylesheet, using <xsl:message>
or your processor's extension mechanisms. That'll both give you a good
idea of how hard this is to automate, and will be more likely to give you
useful results.