Re: [xsl] xsl:sort in old MSXML

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:sort in old MSXML
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 11:58:02 -0400

At 09:18 AM 7/1/2003, David wrote:
> I don't have access to a server (I did some applications in a free
> site hosting), the transformations aren't done in this case in the
> client side?

If you don't have access to either a sever or a client that can do XSLT
then you can't use XSLT, you have to just write HTML.

You can still, however, write XML at home and convert it into HTML in batch mode, then serve up the HTML the old-fashioned way.

"Poor man's XML". Yet a surprisingly effective way to use it -- you still get many or most of the advantages of XML: you can tag your documents to their type instead of maintaining the HTML tagging, which is useless for anything but web pages. Assuming you do the design right, you'll still get XML's economies of scale (from the "separation of format from content" etc. etc.), robustness and reusability of your data, and all that. (Whether this would be worthwhile in your particular case, of course, depends on why you're using XML.)

It's the application of markup language technologies in back offices like this, invisible to the world, that led Chet Ensign to title a book "SGML: the Billion-Dollar Secret".

Mulberry Technologies, Inc.