Re: [xsl] inheritance and encapsulation in xslt? / xslt for xlink?

Subject: Re: [xsl] inheritance and encapsulation in xslt? / xslt for xlink?
From: Howard Stearns <stearns@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:49:07 -0400
Suppose I start with an empty specialized stylesheet, acme-corp-2html.xsl, that xsl:imports the general stylesheet, us-gaap-ci-2html.xsl. Even without defining any templates of its own, acme-corp-2html.xsl will handle all the elements that the general stylesheet can handle. That's good.

However, the acme-corp instance documents uses many elements (let's say it could be hundreds) that are not present in generic us-gaap-ci instance documents. Assuming that the imported us-gaap-ci-2html.xsl just simplistically defines templates that match based on element names in the us-gaap-ci.xsd, these specialized Acme elements won't be matched by the imported templates.

I don't see how xsl:import helps me to get the generic us-gaap-ci-2html.xsl templates to apply to the new elements used by Acme corp. (Or am I missing something?)

I could manually determine the names of elements that are unique to acme-corp, and add template rules for each into acme-corp-2html.xsl. The bodies of these templates would be exactly the same as the templates of the corresponding elements in the included stylesheet. And there are thousands of companies like Acme Corp.

I want to be able to write versions of generic stylesheets (like us-gaap-ci-2html.xsl) that will work no only for us-gaap-ci.xsd instance documents, but also for any documents derived from us-gaap-ci that define their own more specialized elements.