Re: [xsl] Multilanguage support

Subject: Re: [xsl] Multilanguage support
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 09:28:29 -0400
At 2003-10-12 13:38 +0530, Aananth.S wrote:
Could any one tell me what are all the stuff that i would have to take care to provide NLS(mulilanguage) support for my xsl which produces the FOs.

The only areas I've had to deal with myself are hyphenation and the mixing of strong and weak Unicode characters. I haven't had nearly the experience that Eliot Kimber has had successfully working with multilingual text - if you should ever get the chance at an XML conference to see one of Eliot's presentations, it will be worth your while to go out of your way to learn from him.

One lesson in particular I tell my students is to isolate authored content from stylesheet boilerplate using <bidi-override unicode-bidi="embed">. This protects any strong-direction authored characters from ravaging any weak-direction boilerplate. The impact is illustrated on page 293 of the paper edition of my FO book, and on page 319 of the electronic edition. Note that the updated electronic edition replaces the use in the paper edition on page 291 of Unicode direction characters with:

  <bidi-override unicode-bidi="embed">
     <xsl:apply-templates select="title"/>
  </bidi-override>

Apart from the w3c spec, are there any othere resources/docs that would jump start a bigginer.How exactly does writing-mode impact this.

Writing mode impacts on your use of before, after, start and end. You can put a stream of exclusively right-to-left text in a left-to-right writing mode and still see right-to-left text properly displayed, but the indents will not be correct. If you know your text is going to be right-to-left, then be sure to use the writing mode to match the margins.

I hope this helps.

--
Next public US delivery:        3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-10-13
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2003-11-??

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc