Re: [xsl] Can I change variable contents.

Subject: Re: [xsl] Can I change variable contents.
From: Vikram Barate <vikram@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:15:31 +0530
Thanx David,

<Tag value="X:Y">
</Tag>

In the example I've given my main problem is Xs and Ys in the value attribute are not known to me. It can be grade, sub or anything else. That is my main problem area. X and Y can be anything and I want to group all Ys according to existing Xs in XML and print.

Thanks, Vikram

David Carlisle wrote:

One general Question: If we can't change xsl:variable, then why it is named variable? is should be xsl:constant.

the use of the word "variable" matches its original use in mathematics not the slightly strange use in imperative programming languages that allow constructs such as x = x + 1 but don't allow you to subtract x from both sides of that equation and deduce 0 = 1

something like

<xsl:for-each select="Tag[starts-with(@value,'grade:')]">
<xsl:value-of select="substring-after(@value,'grade:')"/>
<xsl:text> </xsl:text>
</xsl:for-each> from grade

<xsl:for-each select="Tag[starts-with(@value,'sub:')]">
<xsl:value-of select="substring-after(@value,'sub:')"/>
<xsl:text> </xsl:text>
</xsl:for-each> from sub

seems to answer your request. note that not only do you not need to
update a variable, you don't need a variable at all.

David