[xsl] will processors support XHTML?

Subject: [xsl] will processors support XHTML?
From: Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:57:22 -0700
Hi,

I was wondering if the processor developers have any plans to support xsl:output/@method="xhtml" for xsl version 1.0? I see it for XSL v2, so perhaps there is no need, but I am feeling that many will stick with v1 for a while.

When people start switching over (to XHTML) there are going to be many frustrated users who have a page outputted with:

<script src="js.js"/>
or
<title/>

This will cause the page to not display (even though the xhtml is there) -- they need end elements.

Or:

<textarea/>

which will cause the rest of the page below the textarea to be placed inside of it.

Have people found other problems?

For a potential faq, here are some workarounds:

<script src="js.js">//</script>

<xsl:template match="xhtml:title | xhtml:textarea">
  <xsl:if test="not(boolean(text()))">
    <xsl:text> </xsl:text>
  </xsl:if>
  <xsl;apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

I wonder how many people have tried to output XHTML only to be frustrated and go back to HTML.

best,
-Rob