Re: [xsl] What is the best approach for doing.....

Subject: Re: [xsl] What is the best approach for doing.....
From: Julian Voelcker <asp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:13:36 GMT
Hi,

> [M. David Peterson] Will the user be updating the raw XHTML?

No, they will have an WYSIWYG editor that they will be using for
editing the final document.

> [M. David Peterson] Ok, so in essence what you are looking at is a
> possible increase in the paragraphs and as such an increase in the
> paragraph numbering affecting the index for the entire document?

Sort of.  My main concern is that if they add or delete a paragraph
that will 'break the cross referencing.

For example there are four paragraphs, 2(i)(a), 2(i)(b), 2(i)(c) and 2
(i)(d).  Paragraph 2(i)(d) contains a reference to 2(i)(b).

Now if they add another paragraph between 2(i)(b) and 2(i)(d) or delete
one, it will break the cross referencing.

Thinking about it I need to do something like give each para an ID and
then where there is a cross reference use some sort of custom markup to
indicate which paragraph number should be displayed.  Then parse
through the document to make sure that the correct numbers are
displayed.

> I will mention that if this is what
> you are looking for then yes, XSLT can do this... but you're in for a
> good day if not more of coding to make it work right.

I don't mind that - it is now the number 1 priority of the project to
get this working!
--
Cheers,

Julian Voelcker