Re: [xsl] Windows URLs

Subject: Re: [xsl] Windows URLs
From: Geert Josten <Geert.Josten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:59:22 +0100
    Michael> This doesn't actually address the UNC question, but I'm
    Michael> pretty sure that conclusion when we last discussed it on
    Michael> the list was that the correct form (i.e. the one most
    Michael> likely to work) was file:////server/file/name - yes, four
    Michael> slashes.

Now that surprises me. I was expecting an answer like David Carlisle
gave:

file://server/file/name

Interesting. Note that UNC's use share names to access file systems on servers. But I would agree that if one would point to c:\foo\bar on machine x, using file://x/c:/foo/bar (or should : be | in this case?), than pointing to \\x\shareC\foo\bar would be file://x/shareC/foo/bar.. I think...

:-)

    Michael> P.S. Does anyone think I ought to allow windows path names in places where
    Michael> the spec requires a URI? I'm disinclined to do it, but it does give people a
    Michael> problem moving to a product that enforces the rules strictly from one that
    Michael> doesn't.

You mean like in xsl:import href attribute? I think not.

My concern is allowing file names on a command line, and converting
them to URLs, which I think you already do with Saxon.

I agree. I would prefer a programming language (Java?) that unifies the way files are addressed. And the file: protocol (if well described) should be equally well suited or even better to address files on Windows as UNC, short dos paths or else.

I once had to pass a file: path to a java module to access a file, but had to pass a Windows path to get the result written to the file system!! Now that's nuts!

Grtz,
Geert