Re: [xsl] xml -> htmlhelp and character 8220

Subject: Re: [xsl] xml -> htmlhelp and character 8220
From: Geert Josten <Geert.Josten@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:42:07 +0100
Having investigated a bit further, I see there are three possibly relevant encoding variables, htmlhelp.encoding, chunker.output.encoding and saxon.character.representation. I'm not sure how they relate to each other. But somehow the 1.59.1 docbook-xsl stylesheets "just worked" to handle the encoding issues, with both English and Italian xml input while the newer stylesheets seem to require complex intervention.

If I set

<xsl:param name="htmlhelp.encoding" select="'windows-1250'"/>
<xsl:param name="chunker.output.encoding" select="'UTF-8'"/>
<xsl:param name="saxon.character.representation" select="'native'"/>

then English XML input is processed OK, but with Italian input saxon chokes on iso-8859-1:

Error at xsl:copy-of on line 338 of file:/usr/share/sgml/docbook-xsl/html/chunker.xsl:
Output character not available in this encoding (decimal 249)

Allin Cottrell

I'm not very familiar with the settings of the docbook stylesheets, but I don't see you specify iso-8859-1. Is there an xsl:output setting somewhere? (Just a lucky guess)

Grtz,
Geert