Re: [xsl] doc() concat expression and whitespace error

Subject: Re: [xsl] doc() concat expression and whitespace error
From: Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:37:47 -0500
On Nov 15, 2004, at 10:38 PM, Michael Kay wrote:

BTW, to be able to suck in XML data via the doc() function
like this -- where I send a query to a database and get a result back for
transformation -- is really useful.

Yes. I'm engaged in another project where we are doing exactly the same thing with Tamino.

What has been your experience with performance?

I've noticed my stylesheets are now a little slow compared to my earlier approach of just accessing the docs directly from the file system, but I don't know if this is because of the http access, or because there's more work involved (here eXist searches for the docs, while earlier I just directly accessed the correct docs because the file names were the same as the citekey).

My bigger issue is that I regenerate the bib collection in the temporary tree every time I run the stylesheets. I'm thinking now it might be better to spit out that collection of documents as an external file (called something like "doc-biblio.xml"), so that I can reuse it in subsequent runs.

But then this leaves the question how to know when the bib file needs to be regenerated (e.g. when a distinct-value of the "citekey" key is added or deleted), and when it can just be used as is.

The only way I can see to do this is to have a top-level "generate-bibfile" parameter with the default set to "yes". That way an application (say OpenOffice) can be charge of knowing whether the bibfile needs to be regenerated or not.

Does that sound right? Any other suggestions?

Bruce