Re: [xsl] finding nodes

Subject: Re: [xsl] finding nodes
From: "Vasu Chakkera" <vasucv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:17:11 -0000
When you define  <xsl:apply-templates select="//campus[@name = $value]"/>
and then define template matching  campus, that means you precisely want to
match the campus with your defined predicate,
 unless you have defined another more generalised apply-templates for
processing all other nodes.

If the behaviour is different for the campus with the predicate you had
defined and for all other campus nodes, then you can do this by the
following ways

 one is use a
<xsl:for-each select ="//campus[@name = $value]>
                            do what u want with this node....
 </xsl:for-each>

or define a template matching campus, with a special mode..
eg,..

<xsl:template match="campus" mode="resident">

do what you want here with your template

</xsl:template>

and apply-templates with the mode .. example
<xsl:apply-templates select="//campus[@name = $value]" mode="resident"/>
So u are defining a special behaviour template for your special campuses...

Try working this way...This should help..
Try to avoid doing the nodeset business unless it is absolutely necessary.

>     I appreciate your reply. Prabably I should have been more clear in my
> mail. When I mentioned top-level (school in my case) I didn't exactly mean
> top-level but inside of the top-level element but outside of the actual
> root (student) where my student data is.

That was more like a puzzle .. You actually meant the parent of the context
node???
HTH
Vasu