AW: [xsl] Matching text nodes with only whitespaces

Subject: AW: [xsl] Matching text nodes with only whitespaces
From: "Huditsch Roman" <Roman.Huditsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:04:30 +0100
Hi,

I am really sorry for all the troubles, but we had some whitespace issues with
XML Spy....
First I thought that my normalizing stylesheet doesn't work properly, but
fortunately it does.
There are interesting things going on, if you decide to "pretty-print" your
XML documents...

The problem with normalize-space was the following:
We first generated FO documents including nodes like
<marker> '' 13 </maker>
These documents were pretty printed via XML Spy, so there was whitespace
which we wanted to get rid off (since it was output in our PDFs).
If we would have used

<xsl:template match="text()">
	<xsl:value-of select=""normalize-space(.)"/>
</xsl:template>

we would have got
<marker>'' 13<marker>

Or is my understanding of normalize-space incorrect?

wbr,
Roman