Re: [xsl] case and strings conversion

Subject: Re: [xsl] case and strings conversion
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:38:44 GMT
   I am having trouble understanding strings and
   converting of cases. If I want to match something
   exaclty in the xsl the case must match exactly. I have
   read the prevois posts on changing the case to match
   but I am not getting it. How do I convert james to all
   lower or all caps to test in xsl. I have the code and
   below, but can not figure it out. Thanks.

   <xsl:value-of select="translate($string,
   'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz',
   'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ')"/>

   <xml>
	<jim name=JaMeS">
   </xml>

The above will output the uppercase version of the value of $string
so if you are not getting what you expect, presumably teh problem is
elsewhere in your stylesheet, specifically the definition of teh
variable string which should presumably be

<xsl:template match="jim">
 <xsl:variable name="string" select="@name"/>
  <xsl:value-of select="translate($string,
   'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz',
   'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ')"/>
</xsl:template>

although of course you don't need a variable at all:

<xsl:template match="jim">
  <xsl:value-of select="translate(@name,
   'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz',
   'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ')"/>