RE: [xsl] XSL - Transforming 2 XSL stylesheets from 1 XML file

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSL - Transforming 2 XSL stylesheets from 1 XML file
From: "Andrew Welch" <ajwelch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 15:52:30 +0100
>     Andrew> - what constitutes a 'handheld' anyway?
>

> From the HTML 4.0 recommendation (Normatively referred to by
> Associating Style Sheets with XML documents):
>
> "handheld
>     Intended for handheld devices (small screen, monochrome,
> bitmapped graphics, limited bandwidth)."
>
> But in practice you are right - it IS fantasy to hope for
> user agents to follow the standards.

:) Maybe that's a good description of the original Nokia 7110 browser...

I wasn't in any way being critical of mobile devices / browsers not complying
with the standard (as I think you are), I was suggesting whoever wrote the
spec was in fantasy land when they conceived the xml-stylesheet PI and its
media type attribute - it was a bit naove to expect any mobile device to look
for the PI with a 'handheld' media type, perform the transformation itself,
and then get this univeral 'handheld' markup back that looks great on all
mobile devices....

The whole idea of associating a stylesheet with an XML document by hard-coding
it into the XML is wrong - it's a practice best avoided.